Clinical Laboratory Associate 3 - Cytogenetics, Clinical Genomics
Company: Vanderbilt University
Posted on: March 21, 2023
Job Description - Clinical Laboratory Associate 3 -
Cytogenetics, Clinical Genomics (2302669) Clinical Laboratory
Associate 3 - Cytogenetics, Clinical Genomics - 2302669 Job
Clinical Labs/Pathology Primary Location $2,000.00 Signing Bonus
and Employee Referral Bonus Vanderbilt University Medical Center
(VUMC) is seeking to hire a Clinical Laboratory Associate (CLA) 3,
whom will report to our diagnostic Cytogenetics, Clinical Genomics,
Team Leader and whom will have responsibility for triaging and
processing advanced specimens independently. The CLA 3 works
closely with all laboratory staff, medical staff, and external
customers including advanced troubleshooting and problem
resolution. Performs packing and shipping of laboratory specimens
to be sent out to referring laboratories. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receives and triages advanced specimens.
- Prepares specimens and patient materials for shipping.
- Provides advanced clerical support and customer service.
- The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the
position and additional duties may be assigned. Position Shift:
- VUMC, 100 Oaks location in Nashville, Tennessee (TN),
Cytogenetics, Clinical Genomics, Lab, Fulltime, Monday-Friday, 1 st
Shift, 9:30am-6pm CST, every 3 rd weekend, and holidays rotations.
Unit Summary: Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) has been
rated the #1 Hospital in Nashville and the state of Tennessee by
the US News & World Report. VUMC's Diagnostic Laboratories are
undergoing an exciting time of change, including a planned
expansion to a new state-of-the-art 110,000 sq ft laboratory. This,
along with an established Professional Advancement Ladder (PAL),
provides additional opportunities for growth within our system.
VUMC is an academic medicine environment, providing team members
frequent interaction with clinical teams and exposure to complex
and novel infectious cases. Discover Vanderbilt University Medical
Center: Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global
crossroads of teaching, discovery, and patient care, -VUMC -is a
community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple
aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will
be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged.
It is a place where your diversity - of culture, thinking,
learning, and leading - is sought and celebrated. It is a place
where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than
themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle
for what was good enough yesterday. -Vanderbilt's -mission is to
advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient
care, education, and research. Because we are committed to
providing the best in patient care, education, and research, we are
proud of our recent accomplishments: - US News & World Report: -#1
Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to
the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10
nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties
rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's
Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital
in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally
ranked. - Healthcare's Most Wired: -Among the nation's 100
"most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in
innovative medical technology. - Becker's Hospital Review: -named
as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of
100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and
to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs. - The
Leapfrog Group: -One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be
named at Leapfrog Top Hospital. - American Association for the
Advancement of Science: -The School of Medicine has 112 elected
fellows - Magnet Recognition Program: -Received our third
consecutive Magnet designations. - National Academy of Medicine:
-22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding
achievement - Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: -6
th -year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a
Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality. - TECHNICAL CAPABILITIES:
PATHOLOGY (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates mastery of pathology in
practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient
knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully
delivering results without requiring support and instruction from
others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving
instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level
of performance of others while on the job.
LABORATORY PRACTICES (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental
proficiency to successfully demonstrate laboratory practices in
practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally, works
under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
SPECIMEN COLLECTION - (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates mastery of
specimen collection in practical applications of a difficult
nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to
be capable of successfully delivering specimen collection services
without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to
train and educate by setting the example, giving technical
instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level
of performance of others while on the job.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental
proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to maintain
equipment, products, or systems in practical applications of
moderate difficulty. Assures that parts inventory is
QUALITY ASSURANCE - (NOVICE):- Has provided continuous analysis and
evaluation of assignment work processes, constantly striving for
improvement in the way tasks and activities are accomplished by
questioning their value to the process and contributing creative
solutions. Has participated in the process of establishing,
communicating, and monitoring standards for quality and excellence.
Demonstrates the ability to actually work on and improve a current
business process, product, or service.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - (INTERMEDIATE):- Keeps management informed on
all aspects of one or more projects. Takes personal responsibility
to ensure external and internal customer satisfaction is met
despite pressures and/or significant obstacles. Discusses options
with customer for alternative ways to meet expectations
cost-effectively and efficiently. Commands respect and confidence
from customers, and identifies, influences, and creates business
opportunities. Negotiates with customers for changes in service
levels, understanding the business rationale for those changes.
Deals with unexpected customer demands smoothly and without
conflict. CORE ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Organizational Impact: Independently performs non-routine tasks
that significantly impact team and other related teams.
- Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Gathers and analyzes data
to solve problems that arise with little or no precedent.
- Breadth of Knowledge: Applies advanced job knowledge and has
developed a breadth of skills in other areas.
- Team Interaction: Serves as a lead for the team by providing
expertise and guidance to team members. CORE CAPABILITIES:
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S4):
- - Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy, and
enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance
and gain knowledge in new areas.
- - Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact
with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal
opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- - Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and
modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations
and audiences. DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S4):
- - Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current
and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services
to better address them.
- - Solves Complex Problems Approaches problems from different
angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and
develop concrete solutions.
- - Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing
support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase
employees' effectiveness. ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S4):
- - Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and
informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues
- - Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning
experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes
of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all
aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety
checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring. MANAGING RESOURCES
- - Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of
ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- - Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of
the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a
- - Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong
understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate
opportunities. FOSTERING INNOVATION (S4):
- - Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new
ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve
processes beyond conventional approaches.
- - Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning
new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term
- - Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems
as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead
of emphasizing negative elements. Position Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or GED (or relevant experience)
- 2 years relevant experience (Required)
- Prior diagnostic laboratories experience Physical
Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Light Work category requiring exertion up to 20 lbs. of force
occasionally and uses negligible amounts of force to move objects.
- Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
- Occasional: Lifting over 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects
from one level to another, includes upward pulling over 35 lbs,
with help of coworkers or assistive device
- Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from
- Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and
forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower
extremities and back muscles
- Occasional: Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent
falling when walking, standing, crouching, or maneuvering self,
patient, and equipment simultaneously while working in large and
- Occasional: Climbing: Ascending or descending stairs/ramps
using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Occasional: Kneeling:Bending legs at knees to come to rest on
knee or knees.
- Occasional: Crouching/Squatting: Bending body downward and
forward by bending legs and spine.Reaching above shoulders:
Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
- Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any
direction above shoulders.
- Frequent: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
- Frequent: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without
- Frequent: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects
under 35 lbs from one level to another
- Frequent: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object holding
in hands, arms, or shoulders, with help of coworkers or assistive
- Frequent: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any
direction below shoulders.
- Frequent: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or
otherwise working with hand or hands.
- Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working
primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
- Frequent: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands.
- Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging
- Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds,
tones, and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory
- Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less
and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral
vision, color vision.
- Continuous: Smell: Ability to detect and identify odors.
- Occasional: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning
chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in work area.
- Occasional: Pathogens: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens
and other contagious illnesses. Vanderbilt Health recognizes that
diversity is essential for excellence and innovation. We are
committed to an inclusive environment where everyone has the chance
to thrive and to the principles of equal opportunity and
affirmative action. EOE/AA/Women/Minority/Vets/Disabled. Vanderbilt
University Medical Center is committed to principles of equal
opportunity and affirmative action.
Keywords: Vanderbilt University, Nashville , Clinical Laboratory Associate 3 - Cytogenetics, Clinical Genomics, Healthcare , Nashville, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...