Registered Nurse PRN (As Needed) - Inflammatory Bowel Clinic
Company: Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Posted on: November 27, 2022
- 2213294Job Registered NursePrimary Location
TN-Nashville-Vanderbilt Health One Hundred Oaks (OHO)Organization
GI IBD CLINIC 200182Shift First Shift
Registered Nurse, PRN (As Needed) - Inflammatory Bowel Disease
ClinicRequisition 2213294Your Role:
You will apply the nursing process to plan and implement the care
of patients, including patient and family education and continuum
of care planning. Effectively communicate pertinent patient/family
information to the health care team. Collaborate in establishing
patient goals and evaluates progress to ensure effective outcomes.
Further your professional growth by engaging in learning activities
according to the Board of Nursing standards.The role is responsible
for intake and clinic throughput. The triage role is responsible
for three (3) provider message basket management, external lab
management, therapy plan treatment follow-up with prior
authorizations, and follows up on patient's prescription renewal,
clinical concerns, and symptom management, in addition to meeting
with new patients in clinic for education, instructions and
assisting the provider as needed.Department/Unit Summary:The
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Clinic provides health care for patients
who present with idiopathic inflammation of the bowel which include
Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. Often this occurs with
relapsing and remitting course health related problems. The
complexity of the patient's health can range from no organic
disease, mild/moderate organic disease, organic disease with
functional impairments and severe disease that can be life
threatening.We are located at One Hundred Oaks located about 15
minutes from the VUMC downtown campus. Over 10,000 patient visits a
year (30-80 per day) are completed in the clinic by the
multidisciplinary team including physicians, providers,
pharmacists, social worker, dieticians, and psychologists in
addition to our nursing team that includes medical assistants,
LPNs, and RNs.Fun Facts about our clinic: We participate in annual
fundraising walks honoring our patients, we have a staff sunshine
committee to share joy with one another and our goal is always the
same, take the best care of our patients as possible!Position
- This clinic is open Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
and closed on VUMC's recognized holidays; however, this is a PRN
(as needed) position.Discover Vanderbilt University Medical
Center:Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global
crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a
community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple
aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will
be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged.
It is a place where your diversity - of culture, thinking, learning
and leading - is sought and celebrated. It is a place where
employees know they are part of something that is bigger than
themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle
for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to
advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient
care, education, and research.Our Nursing Philosophy:We believe
highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to
Vanderbilt University Medical Center's mission of quality in
patient care, education and research. We believe nursing is an
applied art and science focused on helping people, families and
communities reach excellent health and well-being.Achieve the
Remarkable:Learn more about VUMC Nursing:
- Nursing Careers:
- Benefits: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/benefits.html
- Our Nursing Philosophy:
- Our Nursing Leadership:
- Shared Governance:
- Education & Professional Development:
- Life In Nashville:
- VUMC Nursing:
- Collaborates in establishing the plan of care, coordinates and
implements care delivery while anticipating patient care needs
across the continuum.
- Analyzes comprehensive information pertinent to the patient's
care and management to determine nursing diagnosis.
- Continually utilizes the nursing process to evaluate patient's
progress towards goals and applies appropriate interventions to
ensure effective outcomes.
- Employs strategies to promote health and a safe and healthy
- The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the
position and additional duties may be assigned.
NURSING PATIENT ASSESSMENT & EVALUATION (NOVICE):- Possesses
sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the
ability to assess and evaluate patients in practical applications
of moderate difficulty. Conducts primary care patient interviews
and physical examinations. Demonstrates sufficient acumen to
recognize problems, ask questions and to contact the patient's
primary care provider and other members of the healthcare team. Has
experience in gathering pertinent clinical data that aid in
referral, treatment, or other primary care pathways.
CARE PLANNING (NOVICE):- Demonstrates ability to anticipate
resource needs, identify distinct tasks, set priorities, schedule
activities, meet deadlines, and organize work within areas of
direct responsibility. Competently handles multiple assignments
often simultaneously by prioritizing work into manageable and
measurable units. Ability to adapt to changes to patient care and
area needs with minimal disruption and loss of productivity.
Follows up to assure problems and issues are resolved.
NURSING PATIENT EDUCATION (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient
fundamental proficiency in providing patient education in practical
applications of moderate difficulty.
EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental
proficiency to successfully search for evidence to answer clinical
questions. Generally works under the direction of others while
- Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the
understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas
related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
- Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately
complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
- Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through
experience within a professional area.
- Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to
CORE CAPABILITIES:SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm
in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain
knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact
with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal
opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and
modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations
and audiences.DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and
future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to
better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different
angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and
develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support
and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees'
effectiveness.ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and
informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning
experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes
of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all
aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety
checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.MANAGING RESOURCES
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership,
focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the
departmental work to effectively manage resources for a
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding
of the information or data to identify and elevate
opportunities.FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new
ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve
processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new
technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as
opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of
emphasizing negative elements.
Graduate of an approved discipline specific program (or equivalent
experience) and 1 year relevant experience. Preferred Education,
Skills, and Experiences:
- Graduate of an approved Nursing Program (BSN preferred)
- Active Tennessee RN license
- 6 months of RN experience
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease / GI nursing experience
preferredLicensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
- Registered Nurse RequiredPhysical Requirements/Strengths needed
& Physical Demands:
- Heavy Work category requiring exertion of 50 to 100 lbs. of
force occasionally and/or up to 20 to 50 lbs. of force frequently
and/or up to 10 to 20 lbs. of force continually to move
- Occasional: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
- Occasional: Lifting over 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects
from one level to another, includes upward pulling over 35 lbs,
with help of coworkers or assistive device
- Occasional: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object
holding in hands, arms or shoulders, with help of coworkers or
- Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and
forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower
extremities and back muscles
- Occasional: Climbing: Ascending or descending stairs/ramps
using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Occasional: Kneeling:Bending legs at knees to come to rest on
knee or knees.
- Occasional: Crouching/Squatting: Bending body downward and
forward by bending legs and spine.Reaching above shoulders:
Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
- Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any
direction above shoulders.
- Frequent: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without
- Frequent: Walking: Moving about on foot.
- Frequent: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects
under 35 lbs from one level to another
- Frequent: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from
- Frequent: Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent
falling when walking, standing, crouching or maneuvering self,
patient and equipment simultaneously while working in large and
- Frequent: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any
direction below shoulders.
- Frequent: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or
otherwise working with hand or hands.
- Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working
primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
- Frequent: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both
- Frequent: Communication: Expressing or exchanging
- Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds, tones
and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory
- Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less
and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral
vision, color vision.
- Continuous: Smell: Ability to detect and identify odors.
- Continuous: Feeling: Ability to perceive size, shape,
temperature, texture by touch with fingertips.Environmental
- Occasional: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning
chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in work area.
- Frequent: Pathogens: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens
and other contagious illnesses.
Keywords: Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville , Registered Nurse PRN (As Needed) - Inflammatory Bowel Clinic, Healthcare , Nashville, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!