Associate Director, Executive Communications
Company: Vanderbilt University
Posted on: November 26, 2022
The Associate Director, Executive Communications is a member of
the Executive Communications and Institutional Projects team within
Communications and Marketing at Vanderbilt University. Working
closely with the chancellor, the provost, and their teams, this
role will design and implement an overarching and data-driven
communications strategy and approach for executive communications
and is responsible for developing and directing priority
communications projects for Vanderbilts chancellor and provost,
with a particular focus on communications for the provost. This
role will lead the implementation of strategy, planning, and
reporting for chancellor and provost communications with
responsibilities to include message development, email newsletter
distribution, and oversight of executive social media accounts. The
position also will provide strategic input and direction on
communications outreach to the Vanderbilt community on behalf of
the chancellor and provost, such as messages to all students,
faculty, and/or staff. This position will report directly to the
Director of Executive Communications. The Executive Communications
and Institutional Projects team within Communications and Marketing
designs and executes integrated plans to promote, protect and
enhance Vanderbilts local, national, and international reputation,
and positions the university as one of the worlds leading academic
research institutions through the distribution of compelling
content across a variety of digital and traditional channels. We
are a team of collaborative, imaginative, curious, and
mission-driven communicators and strategists who are
solution-oriented, striving to continuously improve processes and
elevate engagement. The Communications and Marketing team at
Vanderbilt is a dynamic and collaborative group. The division
serves as the institution-wide center of excellence for
communications and marketing, developing and executing strategies
that inform, engage and inspire others to participate in Vanderbilt
Universitys global academic and research mission. The division is a
key strategic adviser and partner for the mission-based work of the
university, providing comprehensive communications and marketing
plans and thoughtful analysis on messaging opportunities and
constraints. The Communications and Marketing team delivers
impactful marketing and communications results across key audiences
to serve the larger mission, values and priorities of the
university. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and support communications strategy and vision for the
chancellor and provost in alignment with the universitys mission,
values, and institutional priorities.
- Support the relationship with the provost, and Office of the
Provost staff to identify communications priorities for each
- With support from Communications and Marketing team members,
advise on local and national external communications opportunities
for the chancellor and provost.
- Gather news and information from across the university, city,
state, and country to manage the development of timely and
compelling content for provost speeches, social media channels,
internal emails, newsletters, and the provost website.
- Provide strategic communications insight on events and external
positioning opportunities for the chancellor and provost
- Collaborate with the Executive Director of Leadership and
Institutional Content and team to draft key messages and talking
points for provost speaking opportunities.
- Collaborate with the visual media (video, photography) team to
schedule and produce compelling visual assets that amplify the
chancellor and provosts key messages and communications goals.
- Collaborate with the marketing team on graphic design, web
content, email distribution, and media resources as needed.
- Collaborate with the social media team to manage the social
media accounts for the Office of the Chancellor and the Office of
- Analyze key communications metrics to create after-action
reports on key campaigns, events, and outreach.
- Communicate and collaborate respectfully with a wide range of
audiencesincluding faculty, staff, students, leadership, alumni,
suppliers, and agencies.
- Demonstrate understanding of the universitys mission, values,
and priorities and an ability to ensure that all are considered in
executing communications plans.
- Adhere to confidentiality and business ethics; demonstrate
outstanding judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrate a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
and the importance of equity as an organizational operating
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with a wide range of
audiencesincluding students, faculty, coaches, staff, families,
leadership, alumni, donors, and vendors.
- Efficiently and effectively manage multiple, complex, and
results-oriented projects with both quick turn-around requirements
and long lead times.
- Operate in a highly organized fashion with attention to detail
on all projects.
- Work outside regular business hours as needed in order to
perform job responsibilities, including being officially
- Provide overall support as needed and assigned for department
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned. Qualifications
- A bachelors degree is necessary.
- A degree in communications, journalism, marketing, business, or
a related field is preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in public relations, executive
communications, content management, journalism, or a related field
- Experience or knowledge of social media and web content
development is preferred.
- Experience with project management tools such as Trello and Box
- Experience with publishing tools such as WordPress, Salesforce
Marketing Cloud, and MyEmma is preferred.
- Ability to think strategically to manage multiple
tasks/projects with changing priorities and strict deadlines in a
rapidly changing environment is necessary. Commitment to Equity,
Diversity, and Inclusion At Vanderbilt University, we are
intentional about and assume accountability for fostering
advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for
all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes
us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates
differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this
commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and
learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich
backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of
Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in
its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of
excellence in higher education. Vanderbilt University is an equal
opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people
with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please note, all candidates selected for an offer of employment are
subject to pre-employment background checks, which may include but
are not limited to, based on the role for which they have been
selected: criminal history, education verification, social media
review, motor vehicle records, credit history, and professional
Keywords: Vanderbilt University, Nashville , Associate Director, Executive Communications, Executive , Nashville, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!