ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY - 09142023-50336
Company: State of Tennessee
Posted on: September 18, 2023
Job Information State of Tennessee Job Information Opening
Date/Time Thur 09/14/2023 12:00AM Central Time Closing Date/Time
Wed 09/20/203 11:59PM Central Time Salary (Monthly) $3,150.00 -
$4,733.00 Salary (Annually) $37,800.00 - $56,796.00 Job Type
Full-Time City, State Location Nashville, TN Department Safety and
LOCATION OF (1) POSITION TO BE FILLED: DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY AND
HOMELAND SECURITY, HIGHWAY PATROL DIVISION, DAVIDSON COUNTYFor more
information, visit the link below:
Qualifications Education and Experience: Education equivalent to
graduation from a standard high school and experience equivalent to
two years of increasingly responsible full-time secretarial or
office clerical work. OR Qualifying full-time secretarial or office
clerical experience may be substituted for the required education
on a year-for-year basis; additional qualifying education at an
accredited college, business school or technical institute in
secretarial science may be substituted for the required experience
on a year-for-year basis to a maximum of two years.Necessary
Special Qualifications: Applicants for this class may be required
- Complete a criminal history disclosure form in a manner
approved by the appointing authority;
- Agree to release all records involving their criminal history
to the appointing authority;
- Supply a fingerprint sample prescribed by the TBI based
criminal history records clerk. Examination Method: Education and
Experience, 100%, for Preferred Service positions.Summary Summary:
Under general supervision, is responsible for secretarial work of
average difficulty; and performs related work as required.
Distinguishing Features: This is the highest class in the general
secretary sub-series. An employee in this class applies secretarial
science techniques to assist an executive in the management of time
and in the handling of administrative detail so the executive may
be more effective and efficient in action. This class differs from
Secretary in that an incumbent of the latter performs work of less
scope and complexity and has less responsibility for records and
reports. This class differs from those in the Executive Secretary
sub-series in that incumbents of the latter have greater
responsibility in areas of interpretation and enforcement of
secretarial procedures, personal contacts, application of the
theory and practice of secretarial science at an advanced level,
and performance work of greater scope and
complexity.Responsibilities Interacting With Computers:
- Creates and maintains documents, presentations, and
spreadsheets using current software. Communicating with
Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates:
- Answers questions to provide assistance and direction regarding
policies, procedures, and agency information.
- Provides polite and effective customer service for all
individual contacts. Documenting/Recording Information:
- Types a variety of material of narrative, tabular, statistical
and other nature including correspondence, memoranda, abstracts,
articles, business, case, legal, medical, and other
items.Scheduling Work and Activities:
- Organizes and coordinates meetings for outside vendors and
division staff.Getting Information:
- Prepares files for view by the public.
- Gathers materials necessary for meetings, interviews, and
- Contacts outside agencies for reference data to ensure accuracy
- Retrieves information from files, internet, and databases
regarding personnel, payroll, invoices, accounts receivable,
- Researches past purchase orders, contracts, and other items as
- Contacts vendors for price quotes.Processing Information:
- Performs a variety of routine clerical functions such as
compiling/assembling information for dissemination.Updating and
Using Relevant Knowledge:
- Completes necessary training to remain current on computer
software used during daily job duties. Establishing and Maintaining
- Maintains relationships with internal and external business
partners and the general public.Administrative Activities:
- Creates documents and e-mails for internal and external
communications from copy, rough draft, marginal notes, or verbal
- Prepares tabulations and performs a variety of figures
including timesheets, mileage, etc.
- Performs a variety of routine clerical functions.
- Maintains appointment calendars for office staff.
- Performs record keeping duties including archiving files of
- Makes travel arrangements for office staff.
- Proofreads documents to ensure accuracy of content.
- Distributes work to units and maintains files for executive or
- Reserves conference rooms for staff meetings and
- Processes payment transactions to or from customers.
- Moves and lifts boxes, files, and equipment as needed.
- Files documents and items in both paper and electronic formats
according to office preference.
- Submits training requests for office staff.
- Performs a variety of other duties to ensure efficient use of
time for office staff.
- Maintains contact lists for both the agency and outside
- Opening, sorting, sending, and distributing mail.
- Organizes and maintains stock/file room.Monitor Processes,
Materials, or Surroundings:
- Audits employee timesheets to ensure accuracy and
- Monitors reports and databases to ensure deadlines and policies
- Monitors employee requisition lists for hiring process
including correspondences for interviews.
- Audits business relevant documents for accuracy and
- Monitors the creation of official forms for submission to the
- Tracks payments and correspondence to monitor completeness of
- Monitors outstanding purchasing and requisition orders
throughout the entire process.
- Monitors inventory levels of standard office supplies to ensure
adequate stock for office functionality.
- Monitors office equipment to ensure proper working
- Scans documents to minimize the need for hard copy
storage.Communicating with Persons Outside Organization:
- Answers questions to provide assistance and direction regarding
procedures and to provide information by telephone.
- Screens and directs calls and visitors to proper services.
- Communicates by telephone, e-mail, or personal contact.
- Provides polite and effective customer service to all
individuals that contact the agency.
- Notifies technicians if office equipment is not
functional.Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material:
- Inspects office equipment to ensure proper working
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Functional/Technical Competency
- Intellectual Horsepower
- Priority Setting
- Time Management
- Action Oriented
- Written Communication
- Comfort Around Higher Management
- Customer FocusKnowledge:
- Basic computer software and security knowledge
- Customer and personal service
- Knowledge of grammar
- Knowledge of mathematicsSkills:
- Active learning
- Active listening
- Basic skill of speaking
- Reading comprehension
- Service orientation
- Time management
- Oral comprehension
- Oral expression
- Speech recognition
- Written comprehension
- Written expressionTools & Equipment
- Audio Visual Equipment
- Automatic and manual filing systems
- Binding machine
- Conference Call Equipment
- Electric and Manual Hole Punchers
- Electric and manual staplers
- Fax Machine
- Intercommunications system
- Laminating machines
- Overhead projectors
- Paper Shredders
- Pencil sharpeners
- Personal Computer
- Postage Meter
- Scanning Devices
- Tape Recorders
- Telephones/cell phones
- Time, date, and serial number stamping machines
- Transcription equipment
- Two-way radios
- Video Conference EquipmentTN Driver Standards State of
Tennessee positions that may involve driving responsibilities
require candidates to meet the following minimum driver
- A valid driver's license
- For the past five years, the candidate's driver record must not
have record of the following violations: driving under the
influence (DUI), reckless driving, license suspension for moving
violations, more than 4 moving violations.Please include your
Driver's License Information under the Licenses and Certifications
section of your application.**Agencies may allow an exception based
on other factors.
Keywords: State of Tennessee, Nashville , ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY - 09142023-50336, Administration, Clerical , Nashville, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!